HIV/AIDS / Causes of Infection
Epidemiological studies have shown that there are only three modes of transmission of HIV infection:-
- Through sexual intercourse: This includes-Heterosexual, Homosexual and Bisexual.
- Through Blood and Blood products : This includes-
- Transfusion of unscreened/ contaminated blood.
- Using contaminated needles and syringes.
- Through contaminated instruments like razors (beware of using once used razors in barber shops) used in shaving or the needle used in ear piercing, tattooing etc.
- Vertical transmission: From infected mother to her foetus or infant before/ during/ or after delivery.